Tuesday, September 02, 2008

"It's a Small World After All"


You know how there are just certain songs that get stuck in your head and you find yourself singing a phrase over and over? There's actually a word for it, it's called an "Earworm."

Lately I've had certain phrases or concepts doing the same thing.

The most recent was, (thanks to Mike Kingsley), John Wesley's exhortation to, "Gain all you can, save all you can, give all you can."

Since Sunday's service however, I can't stop thinking about Jesus' words in John 14:

I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing. He will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father. And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father.


Thanks to Matt Kingsley, we asked on Sunday whether or not people agree that, "“We are doing greater things than Jesus did.”

Most of the people disagreed. We haven't brought people back to life, ascended into heaven, hung out with Moses, walked across water, multiplied loaves of bread, or risen from the dead. I did overhear someone point out that they have driven a car faster than Jesus, but I don't think that's what Jesus had in mine when he said that we will do "greater things than these."

If technology isn't what Jesus had in mind, what did he mean, and does this promise still apply to us today? I can look at Jesus' followers, and in Acts I see them do some amazing things by the power of the Holy Spirit. Is that what Jesus was talking about?

Can I have the expectation today to do greater things than Jesus?
Do I have that expectation?
Will I do greater things?

It feels like blaspheme to even ask the question.

No comments: