Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Afaid of the Light


Not Silverstein, but Plato:

‘We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.’

I think that the tragedy comes because children are very aware of the fear of the dark...heck, I'm aware of my fear of the dark. Fear of the light is much different, and more dangerous, because we aren't always aware of it. We find ourselves digging our heals in, and out of discomfort shift our attention away from the light.
I can think of many times when I rejected the light out of fear. I remember denying the existence of dinosaurs, (BTW, I don't think that there are any real scholars that deny the existence of dinosaurs) because my theology didn't have room for dinosaurs.
I've been told a story of a Christian who rejected the miracle of someone being healed, because their "theology didn't allow it."

We are called to live in the light, let us be excited to emerge for the dark into the light. May our false presuppositions be revealed to be exactly that, and may we run into the marvelous light.

2 comments:

ATSmith said...

good food for thought.

Christine H. said...

Good thought!
I used to wonder about dinosaurs, too. But now I have much bigger--and more important things-- to wonder about!