Sunday, July 24, 2005

Spiritual Cosmetics

Community
Our table talk discussion today focused on an excerpt from Brennan Mannings' book, The Ragamuffin Gospel:

The Good News means we can stop lying to ourselves. The sweet sound of amazing grace saves us from denying that though Christ was victorious, the battle with lust, greed, and pride still rages within us. As a sinner who has been redeemed, I can acknowledge that I am often unloving, irritable, angry, and resentful with those closest to me. When I go to church I can leave my white hat at home and admit I have failed. God not only loves me as I am, but also knows me as I am. Because of this I don't need to apply spiritual cosmetics to make myself presentable to Him. I can accept ownership of my poverty and powerlessness and neediness.

We questioned whether or not we feel this freedom, of leaving one's white hat and spiritual cosmetics off when we come to Church or Community. Tables then discussed what is necessary to come as we are.

1 comment:

mhkingsley said...

Hey, just wanted to leave a comment and say I'm stoked that Community is doing so well. I think of the Smiths and you guys a lot. I'm sitting in a Hotel in Budapest right now, finishing up some GEM-K ministry stuff.

Matt